Many adventurers and outdoor lovers prefer hiking in leggings due to their comfort, breathability, and insulation factor. A good pair of leggings are flexible, unrestricted and allow you free movement while protecting you from the elements. Here we will take a look at some of our top picks for hiking leggings.
Table of Contents
- Best Hiking Leggings
- 1. Under Armour Women’s ColdGear Authentic Compression Leggings – Best Warm Leggings for Hiking
- 2. Compression Pants Men’s Tight Base Layer Leggings – Top Choice for Men’s Hiking Leggings
- 3. Icebreaker Merino Women’s Wmns 175 Everyday Leggings – Top Choice for Women’s Cold Weather Wool Winter Hiking Leggings
- 4. BALEAF Women’s Ankle Legging Athletic Yoga Hiking Workout Running Pants Inner Pocket Non See-Through – Best Women’s Leggings for Summer Hiking
- 5. Icebreaker Merino Men’s Mens 175 Everyday Leggings W Fly – Best Wool Men’s Leggings for Cold Weather Winter Hiking
- Hiking Leggings Buying Guide
Riversearch.com is Reader-supported. When you purchase gear through links on our site, we may earn commissions.
Best Hiking Leggings
- Under Armour Women’s ColdGear Authentic Compression Leggings
- Compression Pants Men’s Tight Base Layer Leggings
- Icebreaker Merino Women’s Wmns 175 Everyday Leggings
- BALEAF Women’s Ankle Legging Athletic Yoga Hiking Workout Running Pants Inner Pocket Non See-Through
- Icebreaker Merino Men’s Mens 175 Everyday Leggings W Fly
1. Under Armour Women’s ColdGear Authentic Compression Leggings – Best Warm Leggings for Hiking
Brand Name: Under Armour
Material: 87% Polyester, 13% Elastane
Colors: Black, Metallic Silver
Sizes: Extra Small – 2XL
Our top pick for hiking leggings is the Under Armour Women’s Cold Gear Authentic Pants. These leggings are made from a polyester and elastane blend which makes them ultra smooth and comfortable. They feature an elastic top so they stay comfortably fitting. These leggings have all great benefits you would expect from a good pair of leggings: they are moisture wicking and fast drying which makes them great for hiking in both warm to cold weather. With six sizes of affordable leggings to choose from, this is our top pick. We recommend these hiking in warm to mildy cold weather. If you’re going on a really hot day, or really cold winter, we have different options listed which we think are a better fit.
2. Compression Pants Men’s Tight Base Layer Leggings – Top Choice for Men’s Hiking Leggings
Brand Name: CompressionZ
Material: 85% Nylon, 15% Spandex
Colors: Black, Blue, Camoflage, Grey, Green, White
Sizes: Small – XXX-Large
If you’re shopping for an excellent pair of hiking leggings for men the CompressionZ Men’s Compression Pants are an excellent choice. These nylon spandex blend leggings are designed for any kind of active performance. They are great for sports, working out, and hiking. The leggings provide you with a comfortable fit while being flexible and allowing an unrestricted full range of motion. They are designed to wick moisture and dry quickly while protecting from chafing. They can also be used as a base layer while snowboarding or doing other winter activities. Overall these are well built leggings that can be used for a variety of outdoor activities.
3. Icebreaker Merino Women’s Wmns 175 Everyday Leggings – Top Choice for Women’s Cold Weather Wool Winter Hiking Leggings
Brand Name: Icebreaker Merino
Material: 100% Merino wool
If you’re shopping for ultra warm women’s leggings for cold weather hiking the Icebreaker Merino Women’s 175 Everyday Leggings are an excellent choice. These leggings are made from 100% merino wool which means they will provide you with superior insulation compared to other fabrics. These leggings are designed to be lightweight, flexible, naturally odor-resistant, moisture wicking, and incredibly insulating, making them the perfect leggings for hiking in the snow. The only drawback with these is that since they are wool, they are more expensive than your typical leggings. Icebreaker is well known for their quality cold-weather gear though, and their leggings live up that standard.
4. BALEAF Women’s Ankle Legging Athletic Yoga Hiking Workout Running Pants Inner Pocket Non See-Through – Best Women’s Leggings for Summer Hiking
Brand Name: Baleaf
Material: 87% Nylon, 13% Spandex
Colors: 12 Color Options
Sizes: X-Small – XX-Large
The Baleaf Women’s Athletic Leggings are our top pick for hiking in the summer. If you’re hiking on a hot day you want a breathable and moisture wicking pair of leggings that will keep you comfortable in the heat. That is exactly what these provide. They are designed to flexible and anti chafing which is great for providing you with a full range of motion for any activity. These leggings also feature a small waistband pocket. Which is great for storing small items during a hike.
5. Icebreaker Merino Men’s Mens 175 Everyday Leggings W Fly – Best Wool Men’s Leggings for Cold Weather Winter Hiking
Brand Name: Icebreaker Merino
Material: 100% Merino Wool
Sizes: Small – XX-Large
The Icebreaker Merino Men’s 175 Everyday Leggings are our top pick for men’s cold-weather leggings. Merino wool really is the best material for staying comfortable hiking in the cold. These leggings are insulating, breathable, soft, and naturally odor-resistant. They are designed to be ultra-comfortable and non-itchy. The only drawback with merino wool leggings is that they are typically more expensive than other fabrics. We think it’s worth it to spend a little extra for winter leggings though because you can’t really beat the comfort of merino.
Hiking Leggings Buying Guide
When you’re searching for a good pair of leggings for hiking and outdoor sports, there are a few things you will want to consider:
How to Choose Hiking Leggings
When it comes to leggings for the outdoors we usually recommend some sort of polyester, nylon, or wool. Leggings made from these materials are often more breathable and better at wicking moisture than other fabrics. If you’re going on a long day of hiking the outdoors you will want something that is good at wicking moisture away from the body. A material like cotton will absorb moisture and cause discomfort and even chafing. That’s why you should avoid cotton pants for hiking at all costs.
Another thing to pay attention to is how well leggings will insulate you. A quality pair of leggings will keep you warm in the cold, and cool in the heat. This is due to the insulation abilities of the fabric. If your leggings are polyester, nylon, or wool, they are probably good at insulating, though wool will have the best insulation factor.
Another thing you need to think about is the weather when you are going hiking. If you are going somewhere hot or warm, polyester or nylon leggings are fine. But if you are planning on going in the winter when it could be freezing, a good pair of wool leggings is something you will definitely want.
If you’re going river rafting or kayaking be sure to check out our guide on rafting leggings.