Crappie are smaller fish that require lighter and more sensitive lines than your standard fishing line. If you end up with too heavy a line, you may not even feel their light bites. Here we will take a look at some of the best fishing lines to use to catch crappie.
Table of Contents
- Best Crappie Fishing Line
- 1. Spiderwire SCS15G-300 Stealth – Best Braided Line for Crappie Fishing
- 2. Seaguar Red Label Fluorocarbon 200 yards Fishing Line (4-Pounds) – Best Ice Fishing Line for Crappie
- 3. KastKing World’s Premium Monofilament 274M/300 Yards – 8LB – Best Monofilament Line for Crappie
- 4. KastKing FluoroKote Fishing Line,Clear,10LB,300Yard – Best Line for Crappie Jigging
- 5. Stren Original, Clear, 330 Yd, Pound Test 8 – Best 8 Pound Mono Line for Crappie
- Crappie Fishing Line Buying Guide
Best Crappie Fishing Line
- Spiderwire SCS15G-300 Stealth
- Seaguar Red Label Fluorocarbon 200 yards Fishing Line (4-Pounds)
- KastKing World’s Premium Monofilament 274M/300 Yards – 8LB
- KastKing FluoroKote Fishing Line,Clear,10LB,300Yard
- Stren Original, Clear, 330 Yd, Pound Test 8
1. Spiderwire SCS15G-300 Stealth – Best Braided Line for Crappie Fishing
Brand Name: SpiderWire
Spool Sizes: 125 – 500 Yards
Test LB Range: 6 – 100lbs
First on our list is the SpiderWire Superline Braid Fishing Line. This is a braided line coming in lb test ranges from 6 to 100lb and spool sizes of 125 – 500 yards. It has a unique coating that allows for longer casting distances with a smooth microfiber construction made to be ultra quiet while sliding through your guides. They feature seven different color options making it great for fishing in a variety of conditions. For crappie fishing, choose either their 6 pound test or 8 pound test option.
2. Seaguar Red Label Fluorocarbon 200 yards Fishing Line (4-Pounds) – Best Ice Fishing Line for Crappie
Brand Name: Seaguar
Spool Sizes: 200 Yards
Test LB Range: 4 – 15lbs
The second spot on our list goes to the Seaguar Red Label Fluorcarbon Line. With this you get 200 yards of high strength fishing line that is nearly invisible in the water. If you’re worried about crappie getting line shy, this is a good option. Their 4 pound test offer will be more than sufficient for catching crappy in a variety of conditions. We particularly recommend this line if your fishing crappie through the ice. In the cold winter water the coating and thin diameter of this line can help hold your knot strengths. The only one drawback though is that fluorocarbon line is a little bit on the expensive side compared to other lines.
3. KastKing World’s Premium Monofilament 274M/300 Yards – 8LB – Best Monofilament Line for Crappie
Brand Name: KastKing
Spool Sizes: 300 – 600 Yards
Test LB Range: 4 – 30lbs
If you’re looking for a good monofilament line to use, the KastKing Premium Mono Fishing Line is a great option. This line is available in six color options in pound tests ranging from 4 to 30 lbs. The color options are designed to blend into the water to appear less obtrusive to line shy fish. The spools have roll track technology for low memory and easier casting ability. For crappie, select their 4 or 8 pound options.
4. KastKing FluoroKote Fishing Line,Clear,10LB,300Yard – Best Line for Crappie Jigging
Brand Name: KastKing
Type: Fluorocarbon Coated
Spool Sizes: 300 Yards
Test LB Range: 12 – 20lbs
The fourth spot belongs once again to KastKing with their FluoroKote Fishing Line. It is a copolymer line coated with flourocarbon that makes it invisible underwater. This line has low memory, great casting range, low stretch, and is abrasion resistant, like you would expect from a good fishing line. The diameter is also small for better handling with your lures. Overall this is a great fishing line at a reasonable price (considering it has many features of fluorocarbon line). Stick with the 12lb test option for crappie.
5. Stren Original, Clear, 330 Yd, Pound Test 8 – Best 8 Pound Mono Line for Crappie
Brand Name: Stren
Spool Sizes: 300-2400 Yards
Test LB Range: 4 – 30lbs
The final spot goes to the Stren Original Service Spool. This is a monofilament fishing line that has all the features you want from a good like. Good knot strength, abrasion resistance, strength, durability, low memory and good casting ability. The line is available in five color options. For crappie the 4, 6, 8, or 10 pound line are all good. It depends on how big the crappie are in the waters you are fishing.
Crappie Fishing Line Buying Guide
When choosing a good fishing line for crappie, there are a few things you want to consider:
- Type of Line
- Line Strength
Type of Line
Generally the first thing you need to narrow down is the type of line you will be using. For crappie, you can use monoafilament, braided or fluorocarbon line. Monfilament has a bit of stretch which will help you set your hooks, and it floats. Having a floating line can be good for fishing crappie in shallower waters.
If you’re fishing deeper waters for crappie, braided line is a good choice. The fast sink right of braided line helps you when targeting deeper sections of the water column.
Lastly, fluorocarbon line, or even a fluorocarbon leader can be a good choice because it is really hard for the fish to see underwater. Crappie are known for having excellent vision, so an invisible line can avoid spooking them.
Crappie are smaller so you don’t really need to strong of a line when targeting them. Stick with between 2 and 8 pound test line. If you know the crappie in the area you are fishing are smaller, go with a smaller line, if they are larger, choose an 8 lb option.
The color fishing line that works best will depend on the conditions in the waters you are fishing. If you’re fishing crappie in clear water, stick with a low visibility line because this will blend the best. If you’re fishing muddy or murky waters, a dark green line or yellow line can work well. If you’re using a fluorocarbon leader, then the line color won’t matter much because your line will be hard to see underwater regardless.