North America offers the greatest number of rivers and the greatest diversity of rafting experiences in the world. Without question, the commercial rafting industry in North America is the largest in the world with hundreds of commercially-rafted rivers. In just the Canadian province of British Columbia, rafting outfitters operate trips on 149 different rivers.
Regions in North America that are recognized as premier rafting locations include:
- Western United States: California, Oregon, Idaho, Montana, Utah, Colorado, Alaska, Arizona
- Western Canada: British Columbia, Alberta, Yukon, Northwest Territories
- Southeastern United States: West Virginia, North Carolina, Kentucky, Tennessee
- Northeastern United States: New York, Maine, Pennsylvania, Massachusetts
- Eastern Canada: Ontario, Quebec